Wednesday May 18, 2022
Scripture Ex. 14:9 Then the angel of God, who had been traveling in front of Israel’s army, withdrew and went behind them. The pillar of cloud also moved from in front and stood behind them, 20 coming between the armies of Egypt and Israel. Throughout the night the cloud brought darkness to the one side and light to the other side; so neither went near the other all night long.
– I wonder if Israel was aware of the fact that the angel of God was out in front of them as they journeyed away from Egypt. They, like us may not have fully understood the protective presence of Almighty God who went before them every step of the way.
– It was the Commander and Chief of the LORD’s Army who was out in front of Israel’s army!
– They no doubt wondered about their own capabilities as warriors, when what they really needed to do was acknowledge the capabilities of the One who went before them!
– The angel withdrew from going before Israel and moved behind them. This sudden transition might have caused some to ask, “Is the Lord abandoning us?” upon experiencing this phenomena. Sometimes we allow ourselves to think this way. Trouble comes and we get this uneasy feeling that maybe God has abandoned me. We are looking for God out in front of us when He has moved behind us, Psalm 91: 1 Whoever dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty.
– If we do not perceive His presence, we panic! “Where is He?” we cry! God is with us but He is no longer where we might expect Him to be or where we are looking for Him, He has moved.
– Why, why would God do this? He does it so that He stands between us and the terrible threat bearing down on us. Instead of crying, “God, where are you!?” We should declare, “My God is with me and He stands between me and my enemy!” “God is with me and God will deliver me!”
– God’s presence had an entirely different effect on those who were His own and those who were not! To those who were not of God, His presence brought darkness, symbolic of their lost estate and the eternal darkness awaiting all who refuse to repent and believe. To those who were His children His presence brought light – the light shines in the darkness and no amount of darkness can ever put it out, (John 1:3)!
– He is the Light of the world, whoever follows (Him) will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life, John 8:12.
– This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil, John 3:19! Is this not what we see played out in this amazing act of God as portrayed in Ex. 14:20?! Walk in the light as He is in the light!Read more “God Has Not Left Us, He has Repositioned Himself to Protect Us! “