The Blessings and the Cost of Living by Faith!
Tuesday September 13, 2022
Scripture Passage: 1 Kings 17: 2 Then the word of the Lord came to Elijah: 3 “Leave here, turn eastward and hide in the Kerith Ravine, east of the Jordan. 4 You will drink from the brook, and I have directed the ravens to supply you with food there.”
Life Lesson: It is imperative that we derive our guidance and direction from the Lord lest we fall prey to the misleading deceptions of the wickedness governing the hearts and minds of the multitudes.
– Elijah had discharged his duty in declaring with boldness the word of the Lord without fear of the king of Israel. But that is not where our discipleship ends. It is not enough to discharge our duty in boldly declaring the word of the Lord to a generation who disregards God’s message; we must carry on in our walk of faith by waiting for, listening to, and following the ongoing directives God will continue to show us.
– We are in a dynamic relationship as we walk with God. Therefore, we are always waiting for, listening to and then following the guidance the Lord gives to us. How do we do that? We study the Word of God, we pray and we listen in prayer, we talk to those we who are being led by the Lord and we prayerfully consider their counsel, and we join together with the family of God by regularly seeking the Lord in Christian community as we attend worship services. These are some of the crucial ways we can open ourselves up to the Lord’s leading!
– Elijah heard from God and went in the direction the Lord led him. Now understand, the directing of the Lord may not have been what the prophet of God wanted to hear. The Word of the Lord can and will challenge our personal biases or might even be in conflict with what we personally want to do.
– It must have been difficult for Elijah to receive the message that he was to go away and hide. Not only was he told to hide but he was also told that he would be reliant on ravens, scavenging birds, to bring him food. Not exactly the kind of reward for serving the Lord that most would consider acceptable let alone praiseworthy! Yet by faith we give thanks for every provision from the Lord!
– The fact is that many are serving the Lord and experiencing less than what they hoped to receive from their service. Many are struggling just to make ends meet as they faithfully discharge their duty in service to the Lord.
– However, like the prophet Elijah, God has called them, God is directing them, and God is providing for them; yes, even if that provision looks meager to most.
– When we follow the Lord’s directives, we will experience tremendous power and blessings in our lives as well as personally know the pain and suffering that are inherent to the faithful remnant who walk and live by faith!