Monday April 4, 2022
Scripture James 1: 22 Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says. 23 Anyone who listens to the word but does not do what it says is like someone who looks at his face in a mirror 24 and, after looking at himself, goes away and immediately forgets what he looks like. 25 But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it—not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it—they will be blessed in what they do.
Life Lesson: It is never enough to merely hear the word proclaimed or just read it, the Word of God demands an intentional, contemplative response. Anything less is little more than self-deception.
– The Lord declares, Isaiah 55: 11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” Therefore, people disregard the Word of the Lord at their own peril. Some think that if the recipients of the Word do not listen to it then somehow that detracts from the message itself.
– Let’s be totally clear, our adherence to the Word of God is of no consequence whatsoever to the authority of God’s Word! Adam and Eve disregarded the direct Word of the Lord and they both suffered the just and prescribed penalty for their disobedience. In fact their disobedience clearly demonstrated the fact of, reliability of, and authority of God’s Word!
– God’s Word has always and will always accomplish God’s desire and achieve the purpose for which God has sent it. But what if some do not believe? Acts 13: 45 When the Jews saw the crowds, they were filled with jealousy. They began to contradict what Paul was saying and heaped abuse on him.46 Then Paul and Barnabas answered them boldly: “We had to speak the word of God to you first. Since you reject it and do not consider yourselves worthy of eternal life, we now turn to the Gentiles. 47 For this is what the Lord has commanded us: “‘I have made you a light for the Gentiles,
that you may bring salvation to the ends of the earth.’” 48 When the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and honored the word of the Lord; and all who were appointed for eternal life believed.”
– Even the rejection of the Word of God by the religious leaders and Jewish recipients was a direct fulfillment of the Word of God. The Jews heard the message but refused to receive it and allow that truth to transform their lives. God’s Word did not fail, the hearers of the message failed to believe and thereby consigned themselves over to judgment. Always remember though my friend, God’s Word declares 2 Pet. 2: 9 God is not willing that any perish but everyone to come to repentance.” If some refuse to come to repentance does that mean God’s Word has failed? By no means!
– If those who have been given the riches of the kingdom of Heaven refuse to receive and believe God’s promises that in no way reflects on the power, authority and truth of God’s Word. Church, we have been given access to the glorious splendour of the Word of God. Those who receive it and believe it are transformed by it and given access to the treasures of Heaven!