Thursday March 24, 2022
Scripture James 1: James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ,
To the twelve tribes scattered among the nations:
Trials and Temptations
2 Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, 3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.”
Life Lesson: Although scattered among the nations of the world, the people of God are unique, set apart and fully equipped to face every trial of any kind through our faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
– Joseph M Scriven wrote, “Have we trials and temptations? Is there trouble anywhere? We should never be discouraged. Take it to the Lord in prayer”. Christian, although we might feel scattered and disconnected, we must always remember that we serve a risen Savior who hears us when we pray!
– James, the servant of the Lord Jesus Christ, half-brother to the Incarnate Lord, and late comer to salvation through faith, opens his letter with what might seem to be a paradoxical statement. James writes that we should consider our various trials as pure joy!
– For the vast majority of people, trials of many kinds are anything but joyful. They afflict us, distract us, frustrate us, and monopolize our time and our energy and yet James exhorts us to have a hopeful attitude about our trials.
– Jesus told His disciples, John 16: 33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” Just as resistance training is essential for muscle building, so too are trials essential to developing our faith!
– James tells us the reason we should perceive our trials with a joyful spirit, “3 because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance.” Trials are necessary for our growth! Consider the spiritual giants illustrated in the Word of God and how they became so strong in the faith; people like Noah, Abraham, Joseph, Moses, Joshua, Ruth, David, Esther, Peter, John, Paul and James! These pillars of the faith only became pillars as they persevered through great trials and tribulations. This is our heritage as sons and daughter of the Most High God! Don’t give up, Look up and overcome!